Last updated: 9th May 2015
Land Rover (“we”, “us”, “our”) are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998, the data controller is Jaguar Land Rover Limited of Abbey Road, Whitley, Coventry, CV3 4LF. “Land Rover” is a trading name of Jaguar Land Rover Limited (ICO registration number: ZA020510).
Words and phrases used in this policy have the same meanings defined in our InControl Package Terms and Conditions as set out on the My Land Rover InControl website (“Terms”) unless otherwise indicated. References to the Data Protection Act 1998 include any amendment to or replacement of that legislation.
SCOPE OF POLICY
This policy (together with the Terms) applies to your use of:
· the mobile phone application (“InControl Remote Smartphone App”) that you have downloaded from the Online Store onto your mobile telephone or handheld device (“Device”) which enables you to use the ‘Remote Essentials’ features and, depending on your subscription, the ‘Remote Premium' features;
· the My Land Rover InControl website from which you can access your InControl Services account and access certain InControl Services;
· any of the following “InControl” services (depending on your Vehicle model and subscription): (i) the services provided via the InControl Remote Smartphone App and the My Land Rover InControl website; (ii) the “SOS Emergency Call” services; (iii) the “Optimised Land Rover Assistance” services; (iv) “InControl Secure” services; and (v) the “Live” service (“InControl Services”).
This policy sets out the basis on which any personal data we collect from you, or that you provide to us, will be processed by us. Please read it carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it.
Please be aware that it is your responsibility to alert all passengers and people you authorise to use your Vehicle or the InControl Services about the privacy practices described in this policy (including the ways in which we may collect and use data from the Vehicle and/or relating to Users of the Vehicle).
INFORMATION WE MAY COLLECT FROM YOU
We may collect and process the following data about you and/or your Vehicle:
• Submitted Information: information that you provide by filling in online forms during the setup of your InControl Services account or which the authorised Land Rover dealer (from whom you purchased or leased the Vehicle) provides on your behalf when setting up your InControl Services account. This includes your name, address, telephone number (including mobile number), e-mail address, language preference, password and PINs for your InControl Services account and your preferred authorised Land Rover dealer.
• Additional Information:
• if you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence; and
• details of transactions you carry out through the My Land Rover InControl website.
• Device Information (including location): We may collect information about the Device or any computer you may use to download a copy of the InControl Remote Smartphone App onto your Device, including the operating system and version, the InControl Remote Smartphone App installation unique identifier, the Device’s locale settings and country code. The InControl Remote Smartphone App may also collect information about the location of your device and tokens and username for identification, but this information will not be transmitted to us. You can restrict the access to, or collection of, your Device’s location by disabling the location features of your Device or by not using the features of the device that require location information. We may associate Device Information with Submitted Information and will treat the combined information as personal data in accordance with this policy for as long as it is combined.
• Vehicle Identification Information: information about the vehicle that you have registered to the InControl Services (“Vehicle”) including the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), the make, model, model year, features, registration number, date of purchase or lease, and the authorised Land Rover dealer from whom you purchased or leased the Vehicle. We may associate Vehicle Identification Information with Submitted Information and will treat the combined information as personal data in accordance with this policy for as long as it is combined.
• Location Information: information about the last parked location of the Vehicle. We will also collect and process other information about the Vehicle at any point in time as part of the “journey tracking” function (“Journeys”) of the InControl Services. The information that we will collect and process as part of this function is set out in “Journey Information” below. The last parked location of the Vehicle will always be tracked and cannot be switched off. You are able to switch off Journeys at any time via the My Land Rover InControl website and the InControl Remote Smartphone App. If, however, the “SOS Emergency Call”, the “Optimised Land Rover Assistance” or the “InControl Secure” function is activated, real-time location data relating to the Vehicle will be sent to the relevant service provider and/or emergency services (as appropriate) even if you have switched off Journeys. Please note that the “InControl Secure” and the “SOS Emergency Call” functions will be activated automatically upon the occurrence of a relevant trigger event such as your vehicle being towed away with the ignition off or the deployment of your vehicle’s airbags respectively. For full details of the relevant trigger events please refer to the Vehicle handbook. Even if you have not activated your InControl Services account, the vehicle may automatically initiate a call to contact emergency services via the “SOS Emergency Call” function or you may be able to manually initiate a voice call for emergency services via the “SOS Emergency Call” function. The occurrence of such call may transmit information, including vehicle location, time, and a vehicle identifier to us and/or our emergency service providers. We may associate Location Information with Submitted Information and will treat the combined information as personal data in accordance with this policy for as long as it is combined. By accepting the terms of this policy you consent to the use of the Location Information in this manner. You have the right to withdraw your consent to us associating location data relating to the Vehicle with Submitted Information at any time by contacting an authorised Land Rover Dealer but please note that this may mean that you will no longer be able to receive the “SOS Emergency Call”, the “Optimised Land Rover Assistance” or the “InControl Secure” services.
• Journey Information: information about your journey sent from your Vehicle including the journey distance, real-time location, the duration of the journey, the average speed and data about the efficiency of the journey. As referred to above, you can turn off Journeys via the My Land Rover InControl website and the InControl Remote Smartphone App. This will prevent any of the above information from being sent from the Vehicle (except for the last parked location). As stated above, if, however, the “SOS Emergency Call”, the “Optimised Land Rover Assistance” or the “InControl Secure” function is activated, location data of the Vehicle will be sent to the relevant service provider and/or the emergency services (as appropriate) even if you have switched off Journeys. We may associate Journey Information with Submitted Information and will treat the combined information as personal data in accordance with this policy for as long as it is combined.
• Vehicle Operation Information: this includes information relating to the Vehicle being involved in an accident such as the fact that the airbags have been deployed or the sensors have been activated. We will also collect and process other information about the operation of the Vehicle including, but not limited to, the fuel amount, the distance to empty status, the odometer value, the distance to service status, the coolant level, the washer fluid level, the brake fluid status, the brake pad wear, the tyre pressure, tyre pressure sensor failure, engine malfunction, the oil level, the door and window status, the cab open, boot open, bonnet open status, the battery voltage and whether the alarm is armed or sounding. We may associate Vehicle Operation Information with Submitted Information and will treat the combined information as personal data in accordance with this policy for as long as it is combined.
• Log Information: when you use the InControl Services or access the My Land Rover InControl website we may automatically collect and store certain information in server logs, including but not limited to internet protocol (IP) addresses, internet service provider (ISP), clickstream data, browser type and language, viewed and exit pages and date or time stamps. We will automatically collect and store logs of “SOS Emergency Call” and “Optimised Land Rover Assistance” calls made from the Vehicle (including the date, time duration, content of the call and number of calls made). We will also collect and store logs of your usage of the InControl Remote Smartphone App services, vehicle status messages sent by your Vehicle and will collect and process details of your visits to the My Land Rover InControl website. We may associate Log Information with Submitted Information and will treat the combined information as personal data in accordance with this policy for as long as it is combined. Please also see the Cookies section below.
• Security Authentication: Vehicle identification data and authentication tokens.
• “Live” information: feature specific information such as favourites, emails, notes, media, and information you choose to submit to the Live Features you use; content feed usage-related information; user settings such as activation of ‘remember me’ function; security authentication data; localisation information such as timezone, language and country; Vehicle make and brand; relevant Log Information.
My Land Rover InControl website
Two types of cookies are used on the My Land Rover InControl website.
• Session Cookies, which are temporary cookies that remain in the cookie file of your browser until you leave the site;
• Persistent Cookies, which remain in the cookie file of your browser for much longer (though how long will depend on the lifetime of the specific cookie).
Session Cookies are used:
• To allow you to carry information across pages of our site and avoid having to re-enter information;
• Within registration to allow you to access stored information.
Persistent Cookies are used:
• To help us recognise you as a unique visitor (using a number, you cannot be identified personally) when you return to our website;
• To allow us to tailor content or advertisements to match your preferred interests or to avoid showing you the same adverts repeatedly;
• To compile anonymous, aggregated statistics that allow us to understand how users use our site and to help us improve the structure of our website. We cannot identify you personally in this way.
You have the ability to accept or decline cookies by modifying the settings in your browser. However, you may not be able to use all the interactive features of the service if cookies are disabled.
Below is a list of the main cookies we use, and what we use them for.
||Within a session of your use of the website, this cookie temporarily stores information you have entered to allow some features of the website to work as you move between pages.
||This cookie is only used if you have chosen to have the portal remember you at log in. It stores a token for your identification.
||This cookie is only used if you have chosen to have the portal remember you at log in. It stores your username for identification.
||This cookie stores what language you prefer to view the portal in.
|Google Analytics||We use Google Analytics to compile anonymous, aggregated statistics that allow us to understand how users use our website and to help us improve the structure of our website. This data does not identify you personally. Please see www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners and https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout for further information.|
You may delete and block all cookies from the My Land Rover InControl website by activating the setting on your browser that allows you to refuse the setting of all or some cookies. If you use your browser settings to block cookies you may find that some elements of our website may not work correctly.
InControl Remote Smartphone App
We use Google Analytics on the InControl Remote Smartphone App to compile anonymous, aggregated statistics that allow us to understand how our customers use the InControl Remote Smartphone App and to help us improve it. This data does not identify you personally. Please see www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners for further information. You may choose to disable Google Analytics on the InControl Remote Smartphone App via your account settings.
WHERE WE STORE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
The data that we collect from you will be stored in the European Economic Area (“EEA”) and/or other countries to the extent required for us or our service providers to provide the InControl Services. It may be processed by personnel operating outside the EEA who work for us or for one of our service providers, including those engaged in the provision of the InControl Services. By submitting your personal data, you agree to this transfer, storing or processing.
KEEPING YOUR INFORMATION SECURE
We require all of our services providers to have appropriate measures in place to maintain the security of your information and such service providers will only be able to access and use your information for the purpose of providing the InControl Services.
Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password that enables you to access the My Land Rover InControl website, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted over the internet; any transmission is at your own risk. Your information will be kept in a secure environment protected by a combination of physical and technical measures such as encryption technologies or authentication systems to prevent any loss, misuse, alteration, disclosure, destruction, theft or unauthorised access.
USES MADE OF THE INFORMATION
We use information held about you and/or your Vehicle in the following ways:
· Submitted Information: this information is processed in order to set up your InControl Services account and to send you information about the InControl Services (for example information about any updates to the InControl Services or the InControl Remote Smartphone App);
· Additional Information: this information is processed in order to help resolve queries or complaints connected with the InControl Services, to help to resolve any issues with the InControl Services and to improve our customer service, and to manage your transactions via the My Land Rover InControl website;
· Device Information: this information is processed in order to provide you with the best service and to support issue resolution;
· Vehicle Identification Information, Location Information, Journey Information, and Vehicle Operation Information: this information is processed in order to provide the InControl Services to you and to maintain and improve the quality of the InControl Services and to improve our customer service. We will also use this information to assist in resolving any technical issues with the InControl Services and to enhance your experience of the InControl Services. We will use the Vehicle Operation Information to aid in diagnostics and servicing in relation to the Vehicle and this may include sending you notifications by email or SMS, unless you have opted out;
· Log Information: this information is processed for analytics and logging purposes (for example to investigate system crashes or potential misuse of the InControl Services), to maintain and improve the quality of the InControl Services and to improve our customer experience. Please also see the Cookies section above;
· Security Authentication: this information is automatically communicated between our providers of security authentication and hosting services in order to verify identity and prevent unauthorised use of InControl Services;
· “Live” Information: this information is stored on the Vehicle and transferred to our service providers as necessary to facilitate the service, enable secure access to and download of Live Features from our service provider(s), and to store your settings, data and content relating to Live Features.
We may record calls with you for training and quality purposes and to help resolve disputes.
We may use anonymised information to produce statistical analysis of the InControl Services to enable us to improve our product and overall customer service.
DISCLOSURE OF YOUR INFORMATION
In addition, we may pass the information collected to:
• our authorised Land Rover dealers to assist them in servicing your Vehicle and in delivering an improved customer experience to you;
• members of our group which means our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries as defined in section 1159 of the Companies Act 2006 and any company in which we hold at least 50% of the share, stock or voting rights;
• third parties:
· in the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets;
· if we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal or regulatory obligation or request;
· to the extent disclosure is permitted by an exemption under the Data Protection Act 1998 (including but not limited to, disclosure for the purpose of legal proceedings, obtaining legal advice or establishing, exercising or defending legal rights, the prevention or detection of crime, the apprehension or prosecution of offenders, or the safeguarding national security);
· in order to enforce these Terms or to investigate actual or suspected breaches.
‘REMEMBER ME’ FUNCTION
Your Vehicle has a ‘remember me’ function for certain features of the InControl Package. This function enables you to remain automatically logged in on the Vehicle for more convenient access to the features. Please be aware that while this function is active any other person using the Vehicle will be able to access any of your stored settings, Live Features and personal details in the Vehicle and to use the InControl Services in the Vehicle as if they were you. If you do not wish other Users to have access, it is your responsibility to ensure the ‘remember me’ function is disabled and to log-out from the relevant features.
USE OF INFORMATION FOR MARKETING PURPOSES
In addition to the uses of information described above, we may use your data to provide you with information about the InControl Services and our other products and/or services that may be of interest to you, unless you have asked us not to do so.
In order to provide this information to you, we may work with our selected third party service provider(s) who handle marketing communications on our behalf and we will share your personal data with them only for that purpose.
You have the right to ask us not to use your personal data for marketing purposes. You are able to change your preferences to receive marketing information via the My Land Rover InControl website and the InControl Remote Smartphone App. You can also tell us at any time by contacting us at the address below.
The Data Protection Act 1998 gives you the right to request access to information we hold about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with that Act. Any access request may be subject to a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.
You may at any time update your personal data held by us via the My Land Rover InControl website.
CHANGES TO THIS POLICY